top of page

What you need to rent an apartment in Japan

This is what you need to rent an apartment in Japan.

Sometimes, depending on the house, you don't even need the following!

1. large amount of cash

Moving in Japan is not cheap, so you will need to budget accordingly. Basic expenses may include a security deposit, agency fee, first month's rent, and possibly property insurance, annual maintenance fee, and key change fee.

Key money may also be required, but not all landlords require it, and some agencies offer it for free; MINASAN has a large list of agencies that offer no key money for foreigners who apply through us.

So, for a standard 90,000 yen/month apartment, you can expect to spend about 400,000 yen upfront before the initial cost for moving services and setting up utilities.

*This is just an example.

Deposit (equivalent to one month's rent) = 90,000 yen

Key money (equivalent to one month's rent) = 90,000 yen

Agency fee (up to one and a half month's rent) = 135,000

First month's rent (for one month's rent) = 90,000

Property insurance fee = 15,000

Management fee = 10,000

Key replacement fee = 12,000

Research the market thoroughly and prioritize your wants and needs, then bring them to the agent along with the necessary documents. Keep in mind that there are unique Japanese conditions that affect the price of the property, as well as regulations regarding pets and musical instruments. You should also consider your overall living expenses when determining your budget.

2. brokerage

Real estate agents in Japan usually focus on their local area, so many people first decide on the area where they want to live and then ask a local real estate agent. The agent will ask you what you want and bring you a list of properties that match it. Since you cannot view the property unless it is vacant (you cannot view a property that is occupied), they will often arrange a viewing and take you there on the same day. If you are not confident in your Japanese, go with a friend who can translate for you.

Another option is to look at property information on the Internet and inquire if you find a place you like. In this case, you will have to ask several agents, but you only have to pay the agent with whom you finally sign a contract.

At MINASAN, we can provide you with solid multilingual support from the property search to after you move in!

3. passport and visa

In order to sign a contract for an apartment or house in Japan, two official forms of identification are required: 1. a passport, and 2. a visa, residence card, or student ID. You will need a color copy of the photo page and visa page of your passport, or the front and back of your residence card or student ID card. For tourist visas, you can only rent a room for a short term contract that does not specifically require a guarantor. For long-term rentals, a 90-day tourist visa is not acceptable. However, for a short-term visa (tourist visa or work visa), it is possible to find housing with less stress as follows

4. a Japanese bank account

A Japanese bank account is not required when you start looking for a place to live, but you will eventually need one in order to pay rent by bank transfer. Initial fees such as deposits can be transferred from foreign banks, and some companies accept credit card payments. Cash payments are rare, but some do allow it. It is best to check with your agent to determine which method is best for you. If you are applying from overseas, you can use your home account, but you will be responsible for any transfer fees.

5. letter from employer or certificate of eligibility (for students)

This is the same document used for the visa application and can be a certificate of employment, a letter of invitation, a certificate of eligibility from the Immigration Bureau, or any other document that certifies your activity in Japan. Employment certificates often include pay stubs, but it is also advisable to prepare the following 7.

6. copies of recent pay slips (gensen choshuhyo) or bank statements

Since you need to prove that you can pay the monthly rent, the agent will ask for the past several months' (usually three months') pay slips, proof of annual income, and if you are unemployed, a copy of your most recent bank statement or bank book.

7. domestic emergency contacts

If you suddenly abandon ship and leave the country, it can be difficult to find Japanese who will be willing to deal with the hassles your emergency contacts leave behind. Culturally, they view you as their responsibility, and as an organization they are prepared to deal with any problems that may arise. Some agents, however, will allow you to name a non-Japanese person as your emergency contact.

8. guarantor

Even if you can prove that you are employed and well paid, you will need a guarantor who will take responsibility for you should you become unable to pay your rent. Some Japanese people ask their parents to do this, and some companies will guarantee their employees. Once you find a guarantor, you will need to prepare some documents such as a certificate of residence and proof of income (to be obtained from the municipal office). Also, you must prove that your rent is about 30% of your income to be a guarantor.

If there is no one you can ask, you can use a guarantee company recommended by your broker. Guarantee companies are like third-party insurance companies; you do not have to deal with them directly, but you must pay at least one month's rent and an annual renewal fee of about 10,000 yen. In fact, it seems that more and more Japanese people are using guarantee companies either at the special request of the agency or of their own volition (to avoid having someone else assume the responsibility as guarantor).

I know there are a lot of things, but MINASAN will support you!



bottom of page